How to Dye Acetate/Rayon Blends with Orcocil™ and Orco Reactive R- or BF-Series™ Reactive Dyes using a Two-Bath Dyeing Process
- Care should be exercised when selecting Orcocil™ dyes for certain applications due to the limitations of gas-fade properties of some dyes.
- Do not exceed a pH of 9 in any process involving rayon as it will cause saponification of the fiber.
Dyeing of Rayon
- Circulate prepared goods at 120°F(49°C) in following chemical bath:
- 1 % owg Orconol CHSA Conc™
- Common Salt – refer to chart below
- x % owg Orco Reactive™ Dye properly prepared
- Soda Ash – refer to chart below
% owg Dye
|8:1 to 12:1|
|Common Salt (G/L)||15||25||40||50||50||50|
|Soda Ash (G/L)||4||5||6||7||9||12|
|Less than 8:1|
|Common Salt (G/L)||10||20||30||35||45||45|
|Soda Ash (G/L)||5||6||7||9||11||13|
- Raise temperature slowly to 140°F(60°C) and hold.
- At 140°F(60°C) add Soda Ash. This should be added pre-diluted and in thirds over a 20-minute period to ensure levelness. Dyeing time can range from 45-90 minutes depending on depth of shade.
- Cool back/overflow to 110°F(43°C)
- Rinse in 0.13 oz/gal(1.0 g/L) of Acetic acid 56% for 15 minutes.
- Cool back to 90°F(32°C), drop bath, and refill.
- Raise temperature to 210°F(99°C) and soap off for 15 minutes with 0.25 % owg Orcopon KP™.
- Drop bath, refill and hot rinse for 10 minutes.
- Drop bath, refill and cold rinse for 10 minutes.
- Refill for subsequent dyeing of acetate with disperse dyes.
Dyeing of Acetate
- Circulate goods at 110-120°F(43-49°C) for 10-15 minutes in a bath containing 50-1.0% owg Anionic Wetting Agent
Adjust pH if necessary to 5.5-6.0.
- Add Orcocil™ dyes properly prepared.
- Hold at this temperature for 50-60 minutes.
- Cool back to 140°F(60°C), drop bath, and rinse.