How to Exhaust Dye Cotton or Rayon Using Orco Reactive BF-Series™ Dyes
- Properly prepare substrate. Goods should have good absorbency, wet-out, and contain no residual chlorine, peroxide, or alkali. If the substrate being processed is rayon, do not exceed a pH of 9 as it will cause saponification of the fiber.
- At 120°F(50°C) , add 1.0% owf Orconol CHSA Conc™, X g/L(oz/gal) of common salt* or Glauber’s salt as prescribed on chart shown below, 067 oz/gal(0.5 g/L) sodium hexametaphosphate, 1.0% owf Orcotol MN Powder™(for closed machines such as jets), and predissolved BF-Series™ reactive dye properly prepared. Run for ten minutes.
% owf dyes oz/gal(g/L)
to 0.75 2.7-6.6 (20-50)
0.75-2.00 10 (75)
2.01-4.00 13.3 (100)
4.01+ 13.3 (100)
- Bring dyebath to 140°F(60°C) at a rate of 1-3°F/minute.
- Add prescribed amount of soda ash as shown in chart below. Soda ash may be added in portions to promote improved leveling. Run for 10-20 minutes.
- Add prescribed amount of Caustic 50% as shown in chart below. This will maximize the yield of the dye. Run for 30-40 minutes.
% owf dyes Soda Ash oz/gal(g/L) Caustic 50% oz/gal(g/L)
10:1 20:1 10:1 20:1
to 0.75 0.67(5) 0.67(5) — —
0.75-2.00 0.67(5) 0.67(5) .13(1.0) .07(0.5)
2.01-4.00 0.67(5) 0.67(5) .27(2.0) .13(1.0)
4.01+ 0.67(5) 0.67(5) .40(3.0) .20(1.5)
- After dyeing, overflow rinse until clear using cold water. Drop bath.
- In new bath at 100°F-120°F(38°C-50°C), neutralize with 1.0 g/L(0.133oz/gal) Acetic Acid 56%(or more if necessary for neutralization of residual alkali) for 15 minutes. Drop bath.
- Soap at boil using 0.25% owf Orcopon KP™ for 10-15 minutes. Warm rinse at 140°F-175°F(60°C-80°C). Cold rinse.
* For shades using Orco Reactive™ Blue RW Special use Glauber’s salt in place of common salt and use ½ the amount. Glauber’s Salt is recommended in jet-dyeing machines as common salt may cause pitting in machinery.
** For shades using Orco Reactive™ Turquoise RP, raise dyebath temperature to 165°F(75°C).