How to Scour Nylon/Spandex in a Beck or Beam
Do not exceed the boil in any procedure using Spandex® as the physical properties may deteriorate.
Do not use chlorine in any bleaching procedures with Spandex® as it will cause yellowing and possible degradation of the fiber.
A general scouring procedure for Nylon/Spandex® is as follows:
- Enter goods into bath at 100°F(38°C) and add:
- 1.00-2.00 % owg Orconol CHSA Conc™
- 0.20-0.30 % owg Soda Ash to pH 8.5-9.0
- 0.50-1.00% owg Orcopon PCA™
- 0.10-0.20% owg Sodium Hexametaphosphate
- Raise temperature slowly to 140-150°F(60-66°C) and hold for 20-30 minutes.
- Cool back with overflow to 120°F(49°C) and drop bath.
- Refill and rinse for 10 minutes.
- Drop bath a second time and repeat rinse step.
Proper rinsing is important so that no contaminates or residual detergent is carried over into the dye cycle.