How to Treat Spandex® & Blends with a Water Repellent
Orco Repel WZC™ is used as a water repellent for Spandex® especially when used in combination with cellulosics. It is a non-durable, economical wax emulsion water repellent containing a zirconium salt base, providing excellent water repellency on both synthetic and cellulose fibers and can be applied in a continuous pad/dry procedure.
- Fabrics to be treated should contain no residual surface active agents and have no pH higher than 7.0.
- Spandex® can begin to degrade in presence of temperatures over 235°F(112°C).
- Bath concentration for padding will vary depending on the fabric and weight but generally 2-5 % owb Orco Repel WZC™ is adequate for most purposes.
- Water temperature should be in the area of 50-100°F(10-38°C) before adding the Orco Repel WZC™; higher temperatures sometimes cause insolubility.
- Treated fabrics should then be dried thoroughly at temperatures below 235°F(112°C) if possible.